Each year, roughly 1,200 foster youth in Texas age out of the foster care system
8,625 foster care youth in Texas are between the ages of 14 - 18
- Foster Success Foundation
A supportive adult in a youth’s life can make a difference while they transition to adulthood. That is why we started the Youth Empowerment and Success (YES) Mentoring program
Imagine having no one to turn to for advice, to learn basic “adulting” from, or to ask questions of how to get a job, budgeting, taxes, and other day to day necessities. That is what many of our youth face.
The pipelines to incarceration, teen pregnancy, and homelessness are very high amongst foster youth:
- 30% of males formerly in foster care will be incarcerated by age 19
- 1 out of 4 will become incarcerated within the first two years of leaving care
- 70% of female foster youth will give birth at least once before age 21
- 50% of the US homeless population was in foster care at one point
- 1 out of 5 youth who age out of the foster care system will end up homeless
Many foster youth don’t finish high school or pursue secondary education:
- Former Foster Youth are twice as likely to drop out of high school
- Only 3% of foster youth will graduate college. The national average is 68%
Although the YES program is not designed directly to combat these issues one of the most important factors to becoming a successful and autonomous adult is to have at least one supportive adult helping you. That can be YOU!
A supportive, consistent adult who focuses on connection can make a huge difference in a youth’s life and possibly help them break these cycles.
YOU can be the difference
YOU can help youth achieve a life of independence
YOU can help them not become another statistic
Become a Mentor!
Paperwork - submit signed confidentiality form and background check application (to move forward in process must clear background check)
Training - complete online training (approximately 1.5-2 hours), and meet with a member of the YES Mentoring Team (1 hour) in person.
Commitment - a one year commitment to your youth as a mentor, with ability to always extend!
Contact - minimum of 1 face to face contact with youth per month, and weekly contact by phone, text, email, social media etc.
Reporting - submit monthly check-in, that notes dates and types of contacts.
Attendance - at financial literacy classes, and as you can at the youth enrichment activities.
- You must be over 21 years old
- You must clear a background check with Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)
- Once clear, you will complete a roughly 2 hour online mentoring training, this is a go at your own pace type of training.
- Once you have completed the online training you will meet with a member of the YES Mentoring Team to make sure you are a good fit for the program and to ask any further questions.
- We then match you with a youth, once matched you are expected to meet with the youth monthly face to face, and contact them weekly.
Please note matching can take some time, we take into consideration a lot of aspects to make the match the best possible! We also match based of youth availability.
Are YOU ready to give a foster teen a head-start on life?