We seek passionate, dedicated volunteers to serve as mentors to youth affiliated with the child welfare system.
Partnerships for Children has two mentoring programs:
- YES Mentoring - mentoring teens whose lives have touched the child welfare system by engaging them in fun activities, being a support system, and teaching them basic life skills.
- KING Mentoring - mentoring youth 5+ whose lives have touched the child welfare system by teaching them an instrument and connecting through music.
The pipelines to incarceration, teen pregnancy, and homelessness are very high amongst youth involved in the child welfare system:
- 30% of males formerly in CPS care will be incarcerated by age 19
- 1 out of 4 will become incarcerated within the first two years of leaving care
- 70% of female foster youth will give birth at least once before age 21
- 50% of the US homeless population was in foster care at one point
- 1 out of 5 youth who age out of the foster care system will end up homeless
Many youth involved in the child welfare system don't finish high school or pursue secondary education:
- youth formerly involved with CPS are twice as likely to drop out of high school
- only 30% of youth involved with CPS will graduate college. The national average is 68%
Although the KING and YES Mentoring programs are not designed directly to combat these issues, one of the most crucial factors to becoming a successful and autonomous adult is to have at least one supportive adult helping you.
Fill out Paperwork
Make a Commitment
Keep in Contact
Matching can take time. We take into consideration a lot of aspects to make sure the match is the best possible!
We currently have a 2-3 month waitlist for all Austin YES mentors.
NEEDED: YES Mentors for Waco, Killeen, and San Marcos.
We are an Austin, TX based mentoring program. We serve only the following areas: Waco, Killeen, Georgetown, Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pfluggerville, Austin, Bastrop, Elgin, Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos.